FAQ Home

4300. Can I reverse a pay run after updating the YTD?
Yes, use our Rollback facility. This allows you to reverse/delete selected pay run periods for selected employees. To find the Rollback function go to Others in the Tasking Zone menu bar, then select Rollback, Rollback Active Employee. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform the rollback. You can then rerun the pay period which contained the error.
Road Map To Rollback an Active Employee
Others -> Rollback -> Rollback Active Employee -> Continue button -> Rollback link -> Continue button -> confirm Rollback button
( 'Others' is the button positioned in the tasking zone menu at the top. It is the First button from the right )
Click to view:-
How do I rollback a current employee?